You will learn one of the most versatile rhythms on your Cajon in this chapter! When you are performing Cajon at gigs, if your audience starts to dance, then you MUST know how to play the 4-to-the-floor groove and make it feel good! Here you will learn a new style of Cajon playing, where Byron has again adapted this essential groove specifically for the Cajon. There are 6 exercises designed to help you perfect this essential and dynamic groove. The chapter concludes with a jam with special guest musician Luke Koteras, to demonstrate how this groove works in a musical setting.
In this module, you will learn:
- How to play a 4-to-the-floor groove in a STRAIGHT feel
- 6 exercises to practice and develop your 4-to-the-floor groove
- Maintaining your awareness of bass and backbeat from Chapter 6
- Exercises in different rhythmic subdivisions (quavers & semiqua-vers)
- How to incorporate ghost notes, doubles & accents within the 4-to-the-floor groove
- Playing exercises at varying tempos
- How to perform this beat with a musician
- Learn how to adapt to a stage or studio setting
Make sure you find a music buddy to jam along with to develop your ensemble skills!
- Suggested listening material to practice your grooves along to
- HD (High Definition) video with close ups and various camera angles so you can clearly observe the techniques and rhythms
- Complimentary PDF document with detailed score (music notation) and written analysis of the rhythms discussed
- This chapter runs for 6.50 minutes
- This module is a condensed version of material equivalent to 2-3 standard intermediate lessons
Byron is a professional percussionist, drummer, pianist and composer based in Sydney, Australia. He has a strong interest in Flamenco and African drumming and has studied both at home and abroad (Spain, Africa) with artists including Juan Flores, Ramon Porrina and Sibo Bangoura. Byron is a sought after musician performing regularly with numerous groups including flamenco ensemble Pena Flamenca, artists from The Voice including Lionel Cole and Rosie Henshaw, and acoustic duo Kinetic Method. Byron is a passionate educator with a Bachelor of Music and a Masters of Teaching from University of Sydney and he loves to share his knowledge and skills with people in an inspiring and fun way.
Find out more about Byron here
"Byron Mark is an incredibly talented musician and performs with the best professional attitude at all times! Always looking forward to work with him again." Chachy Peñalver, Flamenco Dancer