Swing Blues and Jazz Module 1
Introduction to Shuffle Beats
Sample video extract
Sample video extract
In this module we learn all about shuffle grooves on the cajon - which form the basis of swing, jazz, blues and even later rock and R&B. Ideal for anyone who wants to understand the rhythmic patterns and theory behind these genres, so that they can get playing along to music and with friends.
In this module, you will learn:
- two different approaches to understanding the shuffle rhythmic structure
- three typical cajon shuffle grooves
- three one-bar fills
- technique for playing swing blues and jazz on the cajon
- using the foot as an extra pulse in shuffle
- background to shuffle
- Instructional Video with step by step demonstration of rhythms and techniques being taught (20 minutes)
- Additional video with nine exercises designed to systematically build up your ability and skills as you play along (8 minutes)
- Written notes guiding you through the module including notation of rhythms, background to shuffle, glossary and study plan
- Clear explanations using visual auditory and kinaesthetic approaches to learning
- HD (High Definition) video with close ups and split screens so you can easily see correct technique
Material included in this module is equivalent to approximately three introductory level classes, or two lower intermediate classes.
Claudia lived in Spain for five years studying percussion with many cajon players including Isaac Figueras (Chiquelo, Diego Carrasco) and Juan Flores (Duquende, Manuel Soto). She then moved to Ireland to play and record with Mexican guitar duo, Rodrigo y Gabriela, and went on to work with other artists including folk legend Luka Bloom. For the next three years she performed in many parts of Europe including Holland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ireland and Spain. She also taught cajon and drums at the Irish Drum Academy and Waltons School of Music. She now lives in Sydney and performs with various groups, and teaches percussion for the Department of Education and Training.
Find out more about Claudia.
"Claudia is a fantastic teacher - professional, thorough and fun. Highly recommended. My compliments to her." Vanessa Hilton, Cajon and Dance studentRead more testimonials